The Art of Persuasion and Information
Copy and content writing are two essential forms of writing in digital marketing, but they’re not the same thing, contrary to popular belief!
Copywriting is about convincing people to do something, while content writing is about informing them.
The Difference Between Copywriting and Content Writing
Copywriting is typically shorter and more focused than content writing.
It’s often used in advertising and marketing to sell products or services.
Content writing, on the other hand, is typically longer and more detailed. It’s often used in blogs, articles, and social media posts to inform and engage readers.
Copywriters use a variety of techniques to persuade, like creating a sense of urgency, using emotional appeals, and including strong calls to action.
Content writers, on the other hand, use a variety of techniques to inform and engage readers, like using clear and concise language, using strong visuals, and telling stories.
Both copywriting and content writing are important forms of writing in digital marketing, especially SEO.
Copywriting is the art of using words to get people to do something. It’s often used in marketing and advertising to sell products or services. Copywriters use a variety of techniques to persuade, like:
- Creating a sense of urgency: Copywriters often use scarcity or urgency to create a sense of need in the reader. They might say something like “This offer is only available for a limited time,” or “Act now and save!”
- Using emotional appeals: Copywriters also use emotional appeals to persuade people. They might appeal to the reader’s fear, greed, or desire for love or happiness. They might say something like “Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity,” or “You deserve to look and feel your best.” or “Jam sandwiches are the best sandwiches!” (we’re biased).
- Using strong calls to action: Copywriters always include a strong call to action at the end of their copy. This tells the reader what they should do next, like “Buy now,” “Sign up for our newsletter,” or “Call us today.”
Content writing is the art of writing informative and engaging content. It’s often used in blogs, articles, and social media posts. Content writers use a variety of techniques to inform and engage readers, like:
- Using clear and concise language: Content writers should use wording that’s easy to understand. They should also avoid using jargon or technical terms that can make concepts difficult to grasp. The exceptions are of course on more complex topics where it’s not possible to write in a simple manner. The goal is to help people understand, no matter the topic.
- Using strong visuals: Content writers can use visuals, like images, infographics, and videos, to break up text and make their content more engaging.
- Telling stories: Content writers can use stories to connect with readers and make their content more memorable. Storytelling is an underrated art!
- Keeping the reader’s attention: Content writers should keep the reader’s attention by writing in a clear and concise style, using strong visuals, and telling stories.
Here are some tips for choosing the right type of writing for your needs:
- If you’re trying to sell a product or service, use copywriting.
- If you’re trying to inform or educate your audience, use content writing.
- If you’re not sure which type of writing is right for you, consult with a professional copywriter or content writer.
- Whatever your needs, Jambread offers a solid SEO Content Writing and SEO Copywriting service that is guaranteed to persuade, inform and get you ranked well in search engines.
In the end, both copywriting and content writing are essential tools for digital marketers.
By understanding the difference between the two, you can create more effective marketing materials that will help you achieve your business goals.
We don’t mean you personally – we mean your content writer or copywriter (aka Jambread).
» Book a quick discovery call with Jambread.